Tuesday, January 8, 2013

My Word

Over at http://mishiam.wordpress.com/2013/01/01/opening-the-new-year/ Michele shared her tradition of picking a word instead of making resolutions for the new year. (I know, are we still talking about New Year's? Isn't that so...last year?) I thought wow! What a great idea. Kind of a mantra, a banner to fly over 2013. Then I waited for my word to pick me. I was hoping it would be something grand and deeply meaningful like "believe" or "serenity" or "youarethebest" but...well. We all know about plans, right? About mice and men, and them going agley? About the universe laughing when you make them?

So, without further adieu, my word. (drum roll, please)

Ok y'all. It's INVEST.



Welp. I actually thought that. I mean, I knew when it popped into my head what it was. I can't lie, I was slightly disappointed. What a cold sounding word. And it's all about money, isn't it? Ugh. A whole year devoted to money??? Where was my soul bending word? My profound and meaningful syllables? The word that makes me go "Ooooooooooo"?

Then I looked it up.

Oh....hello. Here's what it means:

INVEST
to array in the symbols of office or honor, to furnish with power or authority, to grant someone control over, to cover completely: envelop, clothe, adorn, to endow with a quality: infuse

: to commit (money) in order to earn a financial return (One of my biggest goals this year is getting our finances under control, to stop wasting so much money on useless things. Not drinking will be a HUGE help for that.)
: to make use of for future benefits or advantages <invested her time wisely> (Again, not drinking has been a great way to actually spend my time)
: to involve or engage especially emotionally <were deeply invested in their children's lives> (Once again, sobriety is already making me a better wife and mother)

Invest. My word. It makes cents. (ha ha, a little financial humor there. Already working the power of my word. *cocky head bob thing*) But seriously. What a great little word. It says all the stuff I want to accomplish this year. In a really good way.





7 comments:

  1. What a great word. All these little positive changes are an investment in our future. They require ongoing work and commitment. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I like that little big word "invest" better and better.

      Delete
  2. Love that word (of course...I'm a banker so it makes cents...yep...I get it). Anyway, I love what it means in the broader sense as well.

    I really like the idea of finding words instead of resolutions and using them as a mantra.

    Hmmm...I think I feel a blog post coming on! Thanks for the inspiration! I am really loving your blog girl.

    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to read that post! Your word is coming for you!

      Thanks for loving my blog. I love it, too. :)

      Delete
  3. Love it! It is a VERY worthwhile investment in your most valuable asset - you. And all the things that count the most - health, happiness, relationships, even riches..

    I went to bed thinking about this and think I have my word, which came as a surprise to me too. Blog post to come... ;)

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to reading about your word!

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad Sherry steered me your way. Isn't it funny how such an austere word can have such a depth of meaning, I love it and I'm glad it chose you.

    I can't wait to read along as reap all those returns.

    Kary

    ReplyDelete